We have found a topic that has been bothering marketing experts for some time: content marketing vs traditional advertising. If you are also one of those marketers who are feeling confused between these two, or you just want to refresh your knowledge on this topic, let’s get this conversation going. We are going to chat about the pros and cons of both content marketing and traditional advertising to help you decide the right strategy for your brand.
Traditional Advertising: The Familiar Advertising Method
Traditional advertising is a classic, tried-and-true method of marketing. Traditional advertising is everywhere starting from radio commercials, TV commercials, billboards, magazine ads, and old-fashioned direct mail. Traditional advertising has been one of the main marketing methods for so many good reasons.
- TV Commercials – TV commercials mainly focus on catchy tunes and visuals. Those “I’m lovin’ it” kind of taglines you heard in TV commercials made McDonald’s famous.
- Billboards – Billboards are famous for outdoor advertising. When you are on a highway ride with your girlfriend, a billboard advertisement of a brand-new car will catch your eye, convincing you to buy a new car.
- Magazine Ads – Flip through some magazines and you will find various convincing ads for nearly everything from designer perfumes to sports cars.
- Direct Mail – Do you remember the time when your mailbox used to be loaded with catalogs and flyers? That was because direct mail is a part of traditional advertising.
Why is traditional advertising effective?
So, the main thing about traditional advertising is it helps you create effective marketing campaigns that create brand recognition. With traditional advertising, you can reach out to a broader audience. If you have a lot of money; and you don’t have a tight marketing budget, then you can go with traditional advertising. Also, it is easier to measure the success of traditional advertising and whether it is creating a quick impact on your target audience.
You can see the direct result of traditional advertising. But traditional advertising is not perfect. It is particularly expensive for smaller businesses. It is also a one-way street where you broadcast your message and hope your audience finds it useful. With traditional advertising, it is more difficult these days to get noticed in the pool of ads.
Content Marketing: The One Everyone Is Talking About
Content marketing is another marketing strategy that is all about creating content that your audience will find useful. It is about making the content helpful and attractive to gain your target’s attention. Content marketing is like having a conversation with your customers which is totally opposite to what billboard ads do.
- Blogs – Blogs are the thing that you are reading right now. These are cool ways to share your knowledge and connect with your audience. It also makes you an authority in your industry.
- Videos – The ones you find on YouTube or TikTok. Video content is more popular than blog posts because they contain live visuals that attract more audiences. There are two types of videos; one is crisp and short, and the second one is long and detailed.
- Social Media – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc all are social media platforms where you can share your personality and engage with your audience directly.
- Email Marketing – Email marketing is the digital form of direct mail. A well-crafted email can attract many leads. You can share personalized messages, updates, promotions, and more with your customers.
- eBooks and Guides – If you have an in-depth understanding of something, then you can create an ebook on that. Or you can also create a detailed guide and mark your name on your industry.
Content marketing is about creating a long-lasting relationship with your audience. And for that, you have to come off as authentic and gain their trust. But there are challenges too.
Which One Should You Choose?
Now that you know the plus sides of the two contenders, it is time to figure out which one might suit your marketing needs.
- Budget Matters – If you are a startup or small business with a tight marketing budget, content marketing will be your first choice. Content marketing is cost-effective and delivers the best result.
- Audience Engagement – If you want to have a real relationship with your audience, go with content marketing. Content marketing is about building relationships and creating a community.
- Long-Term Vs. Short-Term – Traditional advertising will give you quick results, content marketing will not. But content marketing is for long-term growth.
- Brand Reorganization – Content marketing will be your best choice if you want to be recognized in your industry. It is the best way to share your knowledge.
- Measurability – Traditional advertising may be your preferred marketing method if you are looking for easily trackable ROI and instant feedback. Content marketing is a bit tricky in that department.
Traditional advertising helps you make a quick impact and help you reach a broader audience. But content marketing on the other hand is a champion in long-term engagement and reliability. Which one you should choose depends on your long-term goal and budget. You can also create your own unique style if it helps. Or you can also combine both of these together to avail of their benefits.